History of the Pharmacy Department
The Faculty of Pharmacy of the University of Parma dates back to 1804, when Moreau Saint-Méry, Chief Administrator of the Parma States for the French Republic published the requirements for enrolment in Pharmaceutical Art. The document lays down that "Young men must frequent the School of Chemistry at all times" and obtain a certificate to prove that they had done so.
In a decree of 1814, Duchess Maria Luigia mentions for the first time a vacant chair of "Pharmaceutical Chemistry" at the Medical School of Piacenza which was a branch of Parma University. She instituted the "Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry" in the same year.
In 1824, the subjects to be taught in the "Course of study for Druggists", part of the "Faculty of Medicine, Surgery and Pharmacy" are laid down. This document refers to a three year diploma course and a four year degree course, which includes "Medical Subjects" and "Pharmacy".
As a result of "Ducal Resolutions", Maria Luigia advertised a chair of "Pharmaceutical Chemistry" in 1825. It was won by Prof. Giobatta Guidotti, holder of the chair of General and Specialist Chemistry and Director of the Chemical Laboratory and Pharmaceutical Laboratory, and transferred to Parma in the following year.
In 1854, with the return of the Bourbons and a Regent, Parma had a "School of Pharmacy". This continued its existence under the "Parma Government", the "Farini Period" and the Kingdom of Italy up until 1938.
The School was part of the Faculty of Medicine, and between 1865 and 1938 had twenty-one Directors. It became the "Faculty of Pharmacy" in 1938, and at first awarded a "Pharmacy Diploma", which was then abolished, and the "Degree in Chemistry and Pharmacy", which later became the "Degree in Pharmacy".
From 2012, the Faculty of Pharmacy is replaced by the Department of Pharmacy which assumes, apart from the activities related to research, also the functions connected to teaching.
On 4 April 2016 with DR. N 895/2016 from the merger of the Department of Pharmacy with the Department of Food Science was established the Department of Food and Drug, activated on January 1, 2017.